Study Abroad Opportunity Information
Cal Poly International Exchange Programs offer students opportunities to study their academic disciplines at partner universities for up to one year.
Step 1: Attend Study Abroad 101 Workshop
Your first step towards studying abroad is attending a mandatory Study Abroad Workshop. Sign up for a Study Abroad 101 Workshop now!
Step 2: Plan Ahead
Applications are due approximately half a year before the student leaves for their exchange program.
Best time to go: 3rd year (all year or Spring) – apply in 2nd year
Learn German: GER 101/102/103 recommended
Spring abroad should apply by approx Oct 10.
Fall abroad should apply by approx March 1.
Step 3: Contact Us
Any questions on any program: Kellie Green Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions about life and college in Germany (either program): Kat Gillen, email@example.com
For questions about German classes (either program): Christian Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
To get courses approved (either program): Department chair of student's major
Questions about physics courses: Kat Gillen, email@example.com
Questions about astronomy courses: Vardha Bennert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about chemistry courses: Seth Bush, email@example.com
Munich University of Applied Sciences
University of Bonn
Ashesi University is considered the most prestigious institution in Ghana. It was founded by Patrick Awuah, a former Microsoft employee. Ashesi's roots developed as a project started by Awuah at the Berkeley Haas school of Business. The mission of Ashesi University is to educate ethical, entrepreneurial leaders in Africa; to cultivate within students, the critical thinking skills, the concern for others, and the courage it will take to transform the continent.
Lucerne University of Applied Sciences
The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts distinguishes itself through its applied research. Its researchers maintain close ties with partners in business and industry, including manufacturing and commercial enterprises and social organizations. The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts is the largest university level institution in Central Switzerland.
- Decide on your study abroad program and term. Start by attending a study abroad 101 workshop!
- Research coursework offered through the program's website. Determine if the courses offered are for lower or upper division credit.
- Consult with your faculty advisor/mentor for verbal pre-approval of coursework.
- Meet with a Bailey College academic advisor to complete the study abroad major/support petition form. Book an appointment here.
- The form will be completed during an advising meeting and routed for signatures in this order: 1) academic advisor, 2) department chair, and 3) associate dean. A copy of the completed form will be sent to you and the Office of the Registrar/Evaluations for processing.
- Once everyone has signed the petition, you are safe to enroll in the approved study abroad coursework. The coursework will not be applied/seen on your DPR until Cal Poly receives the official transcript (which may take several months after returning from the term in which you study abroad).
- After your study abroad term, and once the transcript arrives to Cal Poly, the Evaluations office will update your student record (i.e. DPR) according to their timeline found here.