Biochemistry/Chemistry - Change of Major Requirements
General Change of Major Guidelines
- Review Cal Poly's General Change of Major in full.
- Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before entering into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement.
- Students who enter into a change of major agreement and do not complete the agreement's requirements, either by failing to complete the terms or by opting out due to a change of plan or interest, will not be eligible to request that same major later in their career at Cal Poly.
- Students must be able to graduate in a timely manner. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan may be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.
- Note: The completion of coursework without prior consultation with the intended major department does not guarantee the student eligibility to switch into the intended major.
Step 1: Research
Students are expected to research their options and make a well-informed decision before entering into an ICMA. Choose at least two of the following research opportunities:
Carefully review the Change of Major Policy
Attend a Change of Major Workshop
Meet with a career counselor in Career Services
Meet with an academic advisor in the College of Science and Mathematics Advising Center
Meet with an advisor in the Mustang Success Center.
Step 2: Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form
Complete the Change of Major Inquiry Form through your Cal Poly Portal
You will receive an email response from the Change of Major Coordinator within 10 business days with details regarding next steps.
If you have been notified that you are eligible to enter into an ICMA, proceed to Step 3.
If you have been notified that you are not eligible to enter into an ICMA, contact the Mustang Success Center to review alternatives.
Step 3: Meet with Department Contact
If you have been notified that you are eligible to enter into an ICMA, you will need to schedule an appointment to meet with the department chair to plan your transition:
Dr. Seth Bush